It is time for Covenant’s 1st week of hosting “Family Promise” (formerly IHN)!
Typical Host Week
During the week there are approximately 50 slots for volunteers. Some congregations have a different member for each slot; others have volunteers take on multiple roles. Volunteers come from the host and support congregations and are assigned duties by the Volunteer Coordinators—members of the host congregation who oversee the week.
- A Network truck or van arrives in the afternoon with beds and the families’ personal belongings to be set up in designated space.
- Guest families arrive at the Host congregation Sunday evening. The rooms for the families and the common area have been set up prior to the arrival.
- Each night of hosting:
- Families settle in, relax and meet the coordinators and the evening volunteers. At 6:00/6:30 dinner is served family style. Guests and volunteers share the meal together. Families are responsible for their children and help with clean up and chores.
- After dinner, volunteers fellowship with families. Hosts and their families play games, help with homework, watch videos, or just talk.
- Food for lunch is available in the kitchen area and parents make sack lunches for their families for the following day.
- Adults turn in around 10:00 PM; children at appropriate earlier bedtimes. Wake up is around 5:30- 6:00 AM. 1 to 2 Volunteers will spend the night at the congregation.
- Breakfast is usually self-served during the week; typically cereal and other convenient foods. The host may make coffee. The Network van picks-up the families at 6:30 AM.
- During the day (Families are not at the congregation):
- The Driver takes guests to day care, school, work and the Day Center. In the afternoon the reverse is done.
- If the parents do not have a job, they work with their case manager and others to seek employment, housing, and other resources to help them regain their independence. The Day Center has business equipment, laundry facilities, bathrooms with showers, a kitchen and pantry, meeting space and other amenities.
- Everyone returns to the Host Congregation between 5:30 & 6:30PM and the cycle repeats.
- On Saturday the families can sleep in and enjoy a hot breakfast. Families may leave the host congregation to see friends and relatives, take children to activities, etc. They return for dinner by 6:00pm. After dinner the families load their belongings onto the trailer for transport to the next congregation on Sunday.
- The next Sunday:
- On Sunday the families may attend services at the host’s or another church or are taken/go to the Day Center for the day until they go to the next congregation around 5:30. Life skills classes and activities are offered at the Center 1 to 2 Sundays each month.
…and the next host congregation begins its week.
Upcoming 2014 Family Promise Host Dates at Covenant:
- March 23, 2014 – March 29, 2014
- May 4, 2014 – May 10, 2014
- September 14, 2014 – September 20, 2014
- October 12, 2014 – October 18, 2014