Greetings Fellow Foodies!
Matthew 14:19-21 Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 21 The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.
We had the second highest total (115) ever this week and so I thought about this passage. It seems that we have always had enough food to distribute on any given week. This is how God’s economy works! As this ministry continues to grow in numbers, so far we have met the challenge but only by Gods blessing.
Friends, at some point a tsunami will occur on Wednesday and we will have to trust in God more than ever. The mere fact that we handle the traffic we have now is nothing less than a miracle. We have an awesome volunteer team!
Join our team! Or step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Colleen Meyer or Pastor Stella.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 115
- # individuals served: 326
- # first-timers: 21
- # of volunteers: 30
What do we need:
- Needs list for those wanting to donate items :
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial giving is down as is typical during summer months, but our expenses continue as usual. Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
- Wednesday 4:30-6:30pm the pantry is open and we are distributing food to our clients. Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
- Wednesday morning 10-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
- Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!
- And if you would like to explore leadership positions, please contact Pastor Stella at 512-346-3124.
Click here to watch our video.
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency