It was a great day at the Food Pantry! The storms held off, but may have kept some clients at home. We had a real treat tonight. Sharon, an Austin based Wesley nurse from Methodist Healthcare Ministries joined us and was available to our food pantry clients to do health screenings! She talked to clients, did blood pressure and blood glucose checks. We hope this works out so we can have Sharon back on a regular basis. Coincidentally, one of our clients had a diabetic crisis just after arriving tonight. 911 was called, APD and EMS were there within minutes to take charge and possibly saved a life. Thank God for our first responders!
Join the team: The food pantry has the following volunteer needs! Training will be provided.
(1) Urgent Need One driver & one helper to pick up food at Food Bank. We use UHAUL vans to transport food so you don’t need a large vehicle of your own. You do need to be able to safely lift and transfer 50 pounds. Total time is from about 9:30 – 1:00 on Tuesdays, alternating months with another volunteer. This may be just for the Summer or it may be longer if you like it!
(2) Help with annual re-registration of clients 4:00 – 7:00 Wednesdays beginning July 6. We will need the most help the first few weeks. Spanish and Vietnamese skills are especially valuable, but not required. There will be a mandatory training class the prior week.(3) Receive Whole Food Deliveries. Cover for a vacationing volunteer Fridays July 1-29. Be at church at 2:00 (time negotiable), bring in, weigh and put away food.For more information about any of the above opportunities, contact Carl at 512-940-3975 or email.If you are interested in exploring a leadership position in the Food Pantry, please contact Carl or Pastor Stella.
And as always, please pray for all our clients,
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate shelf-stable food:
- peanut butter
- We can always use reusable shopping bags (Not paper or “single-use” plastic bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry can be made by check or online at covenantaustin.org/events-
This week’s numbers:
- # of volunteers: 21
- # households served: 55
- # individuals served: 171
- # first-timers:8
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency