Greetings Fellow Foodies!
2 Timothy 4:7-8 “ I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is a crown waiting for me. It is given to those who are right with God. The Lord, who judges fairly, will give it to me on the day he returns. He will not give it only to me. He will also give it to all those who are longing for him to return.”
I was thinking about my beloved Astros after having suffered through 55 years of futility, finally captured the World Series championship Wednesday night! I have suffered with them as a fan for all of those years. They finished the race and I feel like I was a critical part by cheering them on in the mostly bad times and in the good times.
What does this have to do with the Food Pantry? For over six and a half years now, you the volunteers continue the race. Our ultimate goal is to eliminate hunger needs not grow the numbers however the numbers continue to grow! Sometimes it feels like a hopeless cause but I believe what we are providing besides the food IS hope!
So I speak to you about motives. The Astros and all other baseball teams have the same goal each spring, make it to and win the World Series! I have heard many of the Astro players say they did it not just for the championship ring but for the people of Houston and all others affected by Hurricane Harvey. In other words, they had a higher goal and purpose. Likewise, our goal in all of this is to bring glory to God through this ministry. I must decrease, HE must increase. Do our clients see Jesus through our caring and kindness? My answer is YES!!
Perhaps you get this update each week but haven’t volunteered yet! Come join our team! Perhaps current volunteers will step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Colleen Meyer or Pastor Stella or me!
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 100
- # individuals served: 306
- # first-timers: 12
- # of volunteers: 31
What do we need:
- Needs list for those wanting to donate items :
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (nopaper bags please.)
- Financial giving is down as is typical during summer months, but our expenses continue as usual. Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
- Wednesday 4:30-6:30pm the pantry is open and we are distributing food to our clients. Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
- Wednesday morning 10-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
- Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!
- And if you would like to explore leadership positions, please contact Pastor Stella at 512-346-3124.
Click here to watch our video.
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency