It was a great day at the Food Pantry! Another small group last night – 83 households – and we can’t blame the weather this time (coolest day in at least a month)!
There are lots of behind-the-scenes preparations and planning going on these days at the food pantry. Vacation taking is always a challenge for those leaving as well as those “left behind” to ensure all bases are covered. Also, our Advisory Board will be meeting next week to consider several issues that impact our future, so please pray for this group and its deliberations. Help us, individually and collectively, to trust God to lead us in the right direction!
If you have never volunteered at the food pantry before, come join us around 4:30 or 5:00 on Wednesday to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 83
- # individuals served: 228
- # first-timers: 16
- # of volunteers: 29
What do we need:
- Needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial giving is down as is typical during summer months, but our expenses continue as usual. Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to be part of the food pantry but Wednesday nights are not workable for you? There are other opportunities to help:
- Wednesday mornings 10-noon we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce. It’s easy and anyone can contribute.
- Tuesday mornings: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions.
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency