Greetings Fellow Foodies!
This week’s numbers:
· # households served: 63
· # individuals served: 209
· # first-timers: 11
· # of volunteers: 38
4,556 pounds of food received this week from all our various sources!
“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” -James 1:2-4
And so begins a new year and with it new challenges. I thought about the unofficial motto of the US Postal Service, “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds”, as we gathered for our weekly Wednesday night ministry again. It was cold and wet and miserable outside for the entire evening and no doubt had an effect on the numbers of clients that showed up, however the volunteers still came in full strength with good cheer and persevered the elements. Unfortunately, because the numbers were low and the abundance of food, we were left with lots of leftovers. It’s always sad to have to throw away food but I’ve come to the place where I’m happy that at least some of the stuff had a second chance.
Happy New Year and be prepared for even greater things happening this year. God cannot be contained!
Thank you all for participating in this ministry. Each of you play a vital role!
It was another wonderful evening of fellowship at OUR food pantry!
Peace and blessings to all!
If you are looking for something to donate besides food, we need more egg cartons, diapers and baby wipes and MONEY!!
Please take a moment to reread all the opportunities below to help this ministry.
WE NEED YOU!!
Come join our team! Or step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Bob Weeks, Nancy Bertolino or Pastor Stella. Thank You to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
What do we need:
• Needs list for those wanting to donate items:
• toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
• baby food, diapers, other baby items
• reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
• Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
• Wednesday evenings 4:00pm-7:00pm for volunteers to help set-up, distribute food to our clients and then clean up! Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
• Wednesday morning 10am-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
• Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!