It was a great day at the Food Pantry as we served 92 households and we served dinner to many more. Given all our promotion of the event I was afraid we’d be swamped, but that didn’t happen. The dinner was great thanks to the Barilla/Soho team, Laurie and her kitchen crew, Stella and all our fantastic volunteers. And on top of all that, Barilla left us with over 900 boxes of pasta!
One thing about being part of this ministry, I never question for one minute whether we are making a difference. Volunteers tell me all the time about conversations with clients that both break and warm their hearts. I had four such conversations just last night. I wish no one needed us. But as Mother Theresa once stated, in Heaven we will realize we owe a great debt to the poor for helping us to love God more. Were it not for the food pantry I would not understand this at all.
If you have never volunteered at the food pantry before, come join us on Wednesday at 5pm to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back. Questions? Shoot me an email. And if you are interested in a leadership role, please contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # of volunteers: 29
- # households served: 92
- # individuals served: 294
- # first-timers: 10
What do we need:
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency