It was a great day at the Food Pantry! It was so good to be back in action tonight and see volunteers and clients that I missed seeing last week. I speak often in this space about how much I appreciate our volunteers, but I do especially admire those who work all day and are tired, but then come spend the evening at the food pantry serving others. As we were circled together for prayers tonight just before opening, Betsy told us of what Rod had said on the way over that really captured what we’ve all probably felt on occasion. “Going to the food pantry is like exercising. You may not want to go, but you know how good you’ll feel after you do.” Amen to that!
We had a special treat tonight. A young man came who we hadn’t seen in quite a long time. I and several others remembered him well as a client who went through a very difficult time, but always exhibited a gentle, respectful, thankful nature to everyone. He was here tonight to serve. He said, “I came here before when times were tough; but they’re not tough any more!” He got a good job and has pulled himself up by his bootstraps. Over the holidays he said he was thinking about how he could give back and decided to come serve with us. I just love these stories and pray for his continued blessings.
Please support us financially (see below for how to give) so we may continue this great ministry to our neighbors in need. And if you have never volunteered here before, come join us on Wednesday at 5:00 to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back. And if you are interested in a leadership role, contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # of volunteers: 27
- # households served: 98 (including 5 who came while we were closed)
- # individuals served: 314
- # first-timers: 16
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate shelf-stable items:
- soup, peanut butter, cereal
- baby food, baby items
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo, toilet paper, etc.
- We can always use:
- reusable shopping bags (not paper bags please.)
- empty egg cartons (12s please, not 18s)
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency