It was a great day at the Food Pantry! We all survived what is arguably our craziest day of the year. Each year, in accordance with USDA policy, we recertify every client, which means sitting down with each person, asking some questions and filling out a form. It takes about 10 minutes each, and we have to do English, Spanish and Vietnamese. I always hesitate to thank anyone here because there are so many to thank; but a special thanks to Anh, Kamaryn, Keith, Beth, Sara, Belinda, and Chuck for joining our regular 4:00 crew and making all this work. Great job everyone! Let’s do it again next week!
Important need: We have openings for volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work.
If you have never volunteered at the food pantry before, come join us at 5:00 on Wednesday to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back. Questions? Shoot me an email. And if you are interested in a leadership role, please contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 85
- # individuals served: 219
- # first-timers: 13
- # of volunteers: 35
What do we need:
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to be part of the food pantry but Wednesday nights are not workable for you? There are other opportunities to help:
- Wednesday mornings 10-noon we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce. It’s easy and anyone can contribute.
- Tuesday mornings 9:30-11:30: pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. Details above under “Important need.”
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency