It was a great day at the Food Pantry! I love to hear from former clients whose lives have improved, don’t need our help anymore, and are grateful for the help they received. Here is a touching note I received just yesterday:
“Dear Volunteers at CUMC,
I know it’s been quite a bit of time since we’ve been there, and I’m not sure you remember us, but we just wanted to say “thank you” for the blessing you and your ministry have been to our family while we were living in TX. We moved for my husband’s job in July of last year, and are finally back on a sound footing. We just found out we are expecting a baby at the end of the year, and I have been blessed with the opportunity to serve as a pianist at one of the local UMC churches here. We are so thankful not only for the meals you provided us during that rough time, but also the many prayers you prayed for us, and the many nights you raised our spirits with your cheerful smiles and genuine concern. I’m including a picture of the kids, so you can see how big they’ve gotten. Love in Christ…”
We most definitely remember this sweet family and have thought about them frequently. It is a joy to hear from them.
If you have never volunteered at the food pantry before, come join us at 5:00 on Wednesday to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back. Questions? Shoot me an email. And if you are interested in a leadership role, please contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # of volunteers: 29
- # households served: 89
- # individuals served: 289
- # first-timers: 10
What do we need:
- Would you like to be part of this ministry but Wednesday nights are not workable for you? There are other opportunities to help:
- Wednesday mornings 10-noon we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce. It’s easy and anyone can contribute.
- In 2018 we will have a couple of openings for people to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You could do a ride-along with our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical shape.
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- empty, clean egg cartons (12s, not 18s please)
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency