It was a great day at the Food Pantry! It was the busiest we’ve been in several months, serving 109 households. But the great thing is, our new early start process allowed us to handle everyone with ease. In fact, this has worked so well that our board decided to make it permanent, and we are adjusting our hours accordingly. This is good since it means our Wednesday night volunteers can get home 30 minutes earlier! Our official times are now 4:30-6:30, with doors opening and check-in starting at 4:00.
Our volunteers and contributors make Covenant Food Pantry possible. Many of you have supported us for years and in so doing have blessed thousands in need. Currently we have key volunteer positions open that must be filled in the near term. Please see below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Colleen Meyer or Pastor Stella.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 109
- # individuals served: 286
- # first-timers: 22
- # of volunteers: 29
What do we need:
- Needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial giving is down as is typical during summer months, but our expenses continue as usual. Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
- Wednesday 4:30-6:30pm the pantry is open and we are distributing food to our clients. Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
- Wednesday morning 10-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
- Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions.
- If you would like to explore leadership positions, please contact Pastor Stella at 512-346-3124.