It was a great day at the Food Pantry! Kind of a slow day, just 82 households, but it was nice to have a “break.” It seems our process and facilities scale up nicely until about 95, then it starts to get stressful. And at 100+ operation is downright difficult. Many pantries state their biggest challenge is recruiting volunteers. Ours is certainly not that. Ours is space. We have a plan to move into a larger, safer, more usable space, and efforts are under way to get there. I think we will get there!
And speaking of our volunteers, you may have noticed that I report a volunteer headcount each week in the numbers section below. These wonderful folks are putting in about 85 hours of service per week! And this doesn’t include special projects such as grant writing, food drives, meetings, and others. Many weeks, the number is certainly much higher. Thanks to you all!
In case you haven’t seen it yet, click here to watch our new video. It was produced for us by our friends at the Central Texas Food Bank.
If you have never volunteered at the food pantry before, come join us on Wednesday to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back. Questions? Shoot me an email. And if you are interested in a leadership role, please contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # of volunteers: 33
- # households served: 82
- # individuals served: 266
- # first-timers: 6
What do we need:
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency