Food Pantry Weekly, 11Jul2018
Greetings Fellow Foodies!
This week’s numbers:
· # households served: 142
· # individuals served: 441
· # first-timers: 21
· # of volunteers: 34
Received this message today about our Food Pantry and I think it’s from a client:
“I want to thank you so much for the most incredible food pantry and soup kitchen that I’ve seen in Austin! Although I haven’t been to many, I doubt there’s one better than yours. The number of people that you served, the quality of service and food and volunteers was truly amazing and a blessing to all who attended. I can’t thank you enough. I wish you great success in the future of this program! It helped over a hundred families in one day! Amazing!”
Friends, while I wasn’t able to be with you this week, I understand it was a wild and crazy ride as you can see in the numbers but notes like this can lift your tired spirits! Not only did we smash our one week total, it was also the first week of re-registration. We had lots of volunteers helping in registration but not as many as usual working the food pantry line. However, it was reported to me that despite the numbers, things still ran on schedule and very little grumbling.
I also got this note concerning the amount of food,
“God is good. While we registered and served a record number of people last night, our food donations were also at a record high of 3,700 pounds. The average weekly donation for the year has been only about half that. Of course, part is because we were closed on the 4th, but it’s still amazing that we had so much more food, just when we needed it.”
The bottom line is that while our numbers continue to grow, so to do our resources and that has to be a God thing!
Please take a moment to reread all the opportunities below to help this ministry. WE NEED YOU!!
Peace and blessings to all!
Join our team! Or step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Bob Weeks, Ernie Cruz or Pastor Stella. Thank You to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
What do we need:
• Needs list for those wanting to donate items:
• toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
• baby food, diapers, other baby items
• reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
• Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
• Wednesday evenings 4:00pm-7:00pm for volunteers to help set-up, distribute food to our clients and then clean up! Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
• Wednesday morning 10am-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
• Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency