It was a great day at the Food Pantry! And a busy one. Clients waiting outside in 100-degree heat index before opening were understandably stressed. But once inside, they were greeted with a hamburger-hotdog feast, courtesy of the combined youth groups of several Methodist churches and their leaders, some of whom were outside manning the huge, even hotter, barbecue smoker. Thanks so much to all who cooked, served, smiled, organized, set up, carried heavy boxes, directed traffic, supervised, and dealt with grumpy food pantry leaders who had their routine disrupted!
If you have never volunteered at the food pantry before, come join us at 5:00 on Wednesday to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back. Questions? Shoot me an email. And if you are interested in a leadership role, please contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 96
- # individuals served: 292
- # first-timers: 13
- # of volunteers: 23
What do we need:
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- empty, clean egg cartons (12s, not 18s please)
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to be part of this ministry but Wednesday nights are not workable for you? There are other opportunities to help:
- Wednesday mornings 10-noon we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce. It’s easy and anyone can contribute.
- In 2018 we will have a couple of openings for people to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You could do a ride-along with our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical shape.
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency