It was a great day at the Food Pantry!
It was a smaller-than-usual crowd last night – 83 households – but it seemed hectic. Part of that, for me at least, was due to the fact that several of us shuffled our jobs around some to cover for missing team members. But I heard others use the word “hectic” also, so I’m not sure what that was. For the clients who were there, they had a treat. We had an unusual abundance of fresh produce – thanks to Central Texas Food Bank – and flowers galore – thanks to Trader Joe’s and the fact that it was the day after Valentines! Everyone went home with all they wanted.
As many of you know, a member of the food bank’s Social Services Outreach team joins us once a month to assist clients with SNAP applications, answer questions, etc. Last night they also presented us with a Certificate of Appreciation for our support. Very nice!
One special request for you all. If you travel and stay in hotels, you get the little bottles of shampoo, body wash, etc. Collect those and toss them in the big food pantry donation box near the fellowship hall. All sorts of toiletries are much appreciated by our clients!
If you have never volunteered here before, come join us on Wednesday at 5:00 to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back. From time to time we have volunteer needs at other times of the day too. And if you are interested in a leadership role, please contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # of volunteers: 24
- # households served: 83
- # individuals served: 238
- # first-timers: 10
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate shelf-stable items:
- soup, mac&cheese
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, etc.
- We can always use:
- reusable shopping bags (not paper bags please.)
- Note: we have an ample supply of egg cartons for now. Thanks for getting us stocked up!
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency