It was a great day at the Food Pantry! We had great news this week from the Central Texas Food Bank. They have a methodology of evaluating and comparing partner agencies with defined metrics such as total food volume, nutritional content of food, frequency of operation and frequency of access to clients, engagement in SNAP outreach, and link to social services such as health and economic opportunity. As result, each of CTFB’s 246 partner agencies were placed in one of five levels: Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Community Partner. Covenant Food Pantry is one of just ten Platinum Level Partner Agencies! There are a number of benefits to Platinum Level status, and I’ll discuss those more in future Weekly reports. But for now, congratulations to you ― the entire team of volunteers and supporters on this achievement.
As a personal note, many thanks to Bob W, Betsy B, Vickie M and Linda E for covering for me while I’m traveling the next few weeks. What a team!!!
Currently we have key volunteer positions open that must be filled in the near term. Join our team! Or step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Colleen M or Pastor Stella.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 102
- # individuals served: 27
- # first-timers: 6
- # of volunteers: 27
What do we need:
- Needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial giving is down as is typical during summer months, but our expenses continue as usual. Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
- Wednesday 4:30-6:30pm the pantry is open and we are distributing food to our clients. Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
- Wednesday morning 10-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
- Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!
- And if you would like to explore leadership positions, please contact Pastor Stella at 512-346-3124.