Food Pantry Weekly, 18Jul2018
Greetings Fellow Foodies!
This week’s numbers:
· # households served: 126
· # individuals served: 425
· # first-timers: 15
· # of volunteers: 34
It was great to be back volunteering at the Food Pantry and seeing several new faces among the ranks! It was another busy evening but we started off with a corporate prayer in the Fellowship Hall during the snack supper. That always sets the correct tone!
I wanted to share the following Facebook post by our pastor , Stella Burkhalter about her observation of Wednesday night:
“We feed people on Wednesdays at my church. There were 120 households signed in on the list when I checked, but more came later. Every time I looked around, people were talking to people, saying kind things, catching up. The atmosphere was loving. You should have seen the stuff we gave out. Hot dogs and veggies for dinner. Ripe, delicious figs among the groceries. (I stole a couple!) About a billion pairs of nice shoes in the Free Store. Today was the day I finally learned one of our client’s name after casual chatting for a few months and running into him around the neighborhood- today was the day we moved from “hi” to hugging when we see each other. A new volunteer just found us and I feel like he will probably become a regular. I have to remind myself that what happens each week is a little miracle. If you’re on Facebook, I know you read the news and the snark, so you need to know this is happening, too. You should post your random good stuff, too. Next week, I might be too focused on the problems and will need your good news to remind me that God is at work.”
Thanks, Stella, for allowing me to share your thoughts as I’m sure they coincide with many others opinions!
Please take a moment to reread all the opportunities below to help this ministry. WE NEED YOU!!
Peace and blessings to all!
Come join our team! Or step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Bob Weeks, Ernie Cruz or Pastor Stella. Thank You to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
What do we need:
• Needs list for those wanting to donate items:
• toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
• baby food, diapers, other baby items
• reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
• Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
• Wednesday evenings 4:00pm-7:00pm for volunteers to help set-up, distribute food to our clients and then clean up! Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
• Wednesday morning 10am-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
• Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency