It was a great day at the Food Pantry! As the Summer rolls along with daily temperatures around the century mark, client arrival times seem to have shifted. Thirty minutes before our doors opened there were only a handful of folks outside waiting. But the initial group that entered at 4:00 numbered 60, and by 5:30 we had signed in about 80. By closing we had served 102 households. The great thing that our volunteer team has accomplished recently is to greatly reduce the wait times. Even with “everyone arriving at once” so to speak, by about 6:15 new arrivals were able to be served with little or no wait.
Summertime doldrums have officially arrived in terms of giving, but hunger never takes a holiday. It takes about $1500 per month to operate the Food Pantry. Please don’t forget about this important ministry! Traveling? You may donate online at covenantaustin.org.
Critical need: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions.
If you have never volunteered at the food pantry before, come join us at 5:00 on Wednesday to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 102
- # individuals served: 364
- # first-timers: 08
- # of volunteers: 24
What do we need:
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to be part of the food pantry but Wednesday nights are not workable for you? There are other opportunities to help:
- Wednesday mornings 10-noon we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce. It’s easy and anyone can contribute.
- Tuesday mornings 9:30-11:30: pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. Details above under “Critical need.”
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency