It was a great day at the Food Pantry! And another busy one, as we served 105 households. We conducted an experiment in making better use of our time and that of our clients. Of our early arrivers, which now make up about 70% of the total, we began taking clients into the pantry as soon as they had a chance to cool off and enjoy their snack dinner. Those who need extra time due to physical challenges, followed by the first several picked by our sign-in lottery made their way from the fellowship hall down to the pantry where a dedicated group of volunteers who had come in early were waiting for them. The end result was serving about 20 clients before our official opening time. As with any process change, there were a few bumps, but we learn and improve and move on. Next week will be even better I’m sure! Now if we just had more space we could really improve things!
Be sure to look below at What Do We Need! And if you have never volunteered at the food pantry before, come join us at 5:00 on Wednesday to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back. Questions? Shoot me an email. And if you are interested in a leadership role, please contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 105
- # individuals served: 312
- # first-timers: 14
- # of volunteers: 28
What do we need:
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- empty, clean egg cartons (12s, not 18s please)
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to be part of this ministry but Wednesday nights are not workable for you? There are other opportunities to help:
- Wednesday mornings 10-noon we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce. It’s easy and anyone can contribute.
- In 2018 we will have a couple of openings for people to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You could do a ride-along now with our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical shape.
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency