It was a great day at the Food Pantry! The Church, like all organizations, has its own lingo, sometimes creating walls between those on the “inside” and others. One of those common phrases, is “we are blessed to be a blessing.” But all this really means is that God gives some people the desire and means to help others. That’s what we do at the Food Pantry. We help others. Or, again, in the lingo, “we love one another.” And so, boys and girls, your assignment for this week is to help someone else. 😉
As of three months ago, we had seen over 100 households only once. We’ve now had that many visitors four times in the past 10 weeks, including 113 yesterday. I hate to see this trend. So why do I talk about numbers all the time? One reason is that we have to constantly try to scale our operation to meet the demand. As that demand continues to grow, we have to adjust. One significant change made by the Central Texas Food Bank now gives us the ability to order fresh produce in large quantities. This in turn impacts our volunteer teams who transport and handle all that food each week. We also are challenged with the logistics of accommodating that many people in our small space. We have plans, but they will require God’s blessings…including money! Keep the food pantry in your prayers please.
If you have never volunteered at the food pantry before, come join us on Wednesday at 10am or 5pm to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back. From time to time we have volunteer needs at other times also. Questions? Shoot me an email. And if you are interested in a leadership role, please contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # of volunteers: 23
- # households served: 113
- # individuals served: 360
- # first-timers: 17
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- soup, mac&cheese
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, etc.
- reusable shopping bags (not paper bags please.)
- Note: we have an ample supply of egg cartons for now. Thanks for getting us stocked up!
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency