Happy Thanksgiving to you all! Last night was joyful. So many wishes of Happy Thanksgiving and asking What are you doing tomorrow? People talking about their families and friends. So many act like Wednesday night at the Food Pantry is a big family gathering. And I suppose it is. All this against a background of poverty and need. I talked to one client who was desperate, literally terrified of what lay around the corner. So the world hasn’t changed. Yet so many, for this day at least, joyful. We can do this. One day at a time. One person at a time. Be thankful for each other and for God’s grace.
Please see the note below about Tuesday Morning. We have a critical need for a helper or two.
Join our team! Or step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Colleen Meyer or Pastor Stella. Thank You to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 89
- # individuals served: 306
- # first-timers: 21
- # of volunteers: 33
What do we need:
- Needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
- Wednesday 4:30-6:30pm the pantry is open and we are distributing food to our clients. Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
- Wednesday morning 10-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
- Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!