It was a great day at the Food Pantry! A light night – 83 served – but busy since we had fewer volunteers than usual. We even had the pastor working a table for a while! I even worked a table for a while! Whew! I’m all worn out. 😉
We are only six weeks away from our annual craziness where we re-do the Intake process on every client who walks through the door. Last year at this time were averaging 70 clients per week. Now we’re averaging 90. So if 90 people come on July 5th, we’ll do Intake on all 90. Needless to say, we’ll need extra help. The process is not complicated ― ask a few questions and fill out a form ― and we’ll have a short training class in late June. If you can help or have questions, let me know. I’ll be sending out an email shortly with more details. BTW, if you know a Vietnamese speaker, please send them my way!
The leaders of this ministry are on a mission to raise awareness regarding what we do. Our pastor has always taken an active role and been a wonderful encourager and supporter. And we have probably 50-75 members and friends who support us by volunteering, financially, and in prayer. And all those have made this ministry a success. We literally put Jesus’ words into action. But we now want the rest of the CUMC congregation, as well as more friends and neighbors, to know what is going on in what is arguably Covenant’s largest ministry. So… help us get the word out. Watch and share the video link below. Invite those in your Sunday School class and small groups to come visit us. They don’t have to work, just walk through the pantry downstairs around 5:30 or 6:00 on a Wednesday. I can tell you that everyone who does this is amazed.
This week’s numbers:
- # of volunteers: 24
- # households served: 83
- # individuals served: 243
- # first-timers: 10
What do we need:
- Would you like to be part of this ministry but Wednesday nights are not workable for you? There are other opportunities to help:
- Wednesday mornings 10-noon we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce. It’s easy and anyone can contribute.
- In 2018 we will have a couple of openings for people to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You could do a ride-along with our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical shape.
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- empty, clean egg cartons (12s, not 18s please)
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
Click here to watch our video. It was produced by our friends at the Central Texas Food Bank.
Questions? Shoot me an email. And if you are interested in a leadership role, please contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency