Greetings Fellow Foodies!
This week’s numbers:
· # households served: 96
· # individuals served: 280
· # first-timers: 5
· # of volunteers: 32
Remember growing up as a child and seeing someone else especially a sibling seemingly getting special treatment and trying to point out to someone the unfairness? There are two important lessons to learn from this that cropped up this week at the Food Pantry. One, sometimes life is unfair and two, if you don’t know all the facts pertaining to a particular situation, don’t judge by what you perceive to be an injustice. We had this happen between some clients and it led to some heated arguments. As always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I don’t like seeing discontent when we are just trying to help people with the best of our abilities but it happens, we deal with it and move on but we must be Christ-like in our response.
God Bless you all!!
Please see the note below about Tuesday Morning. We have a critical need for a helper or two.
Join our team! Or step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Bob Weeks, Ernie Cruz or Pastor Stella. Thank You to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
What do we need:
• Needs list for those wanting to donate items:
• toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
• baby food, diapers, other baby items
• reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
• Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
• Wednesday evenings 4:00pm-7:00pm for volunteers to help set-up, distribute food to our clients and then clean up! Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
• Wednesday morning 10am-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
• Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!