It was a great day at the Food Pantry! It was a smaller group this week – 81 households – but still a lot. People come for the food, but each week, we offer other services too…
- In recent months, we’ve been providing timely information about employment opportunities through the Texas Workforce Commission and their partner Workforce Solutions Capital Area (WSCA). WSCA provides us with fliers about upcoming job fairs and hiring events of all sorts. They also offer valuable services designed to breakdown barriers to employment, such as interviewing skills, computer skills, how to dress for an interview, ESL classes, and others, all at no cost. Once a month a WSCA representative comes to Covenant Food Pantry to talk to clients directly.
- Also monthly, a member of Central Texas Food Bank’s Outreach team joins us to assist clients with SNAP applications and answer questions about other social services.
- Every other week, a Wesley Nurse is with us to do basic health screenings and consult about health concerns that clients may have, and we provide information about free/reduced cost health services.
- Since the Free Store closed, Covenant volunteers have been conducting a Covenant free store, offering clothing and housewares.
- In general, we try to offer information and services that we believe may be beneficial to our clients.
Much of the food we distribute is donated, but a sizable amount comes from the Central Texas Food Bank. Even though that food comes to us for pennies on the dollar compared to purchasing at retail, there is still a cost, and there is a cost to transport it. As our client volume has increased so has our cost of operating. We are financially supported primarily by Covenant UMC members and friends, and for that we are truly grateful. If you would like to donate to Covenant Food Pantry, see below under Other business.
If you have never volunteered here before, come join us on Wednesday at 5:00 to see first hand what it is that keeps our volunteers coming back! And if you are interested in exploring a leadership position in the Food Pantry, please contact me or Pastor Stella.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate shelf-stable food:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo, toilet paper, etc.
- We can always use:
- reusable shopping bags (not paper bags please.)
- empty egg cartons
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made by check or online at covenantaustin.org/events-a
This week’s numbers:
- # of volunteers: 20
- # households served: 81
- # individuals served: 252
- # first-timers: 07
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency