Greetings Fellow Foodies!
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a well deserved break from the Food Pantry.
Let me give you a little story! I was on my way home last night and as I turned onto to Duval, it occurred to me that there might be some people who didn’t get the word that the pantry was closed. As I pulled into the parking lot, there was a pickup parked there with a cart next to it. I pulled up and asked if there were there for the Food Pantry. The guy driving the truck had stopped and saw one of our regular clients sitting out in the cold waiting. He asked her if she would like to sit in his pickup so she could call Metro. I have never seen him before and I’m still curious about why he stopped. Anyway, the client got a hold of Metro and they were supposed to be there in about 10 to 15 minutes. I thanked the man and then had the client come sit in my car until Metro arrived. The client and I had a wonderful talk about her life and why she was in a position to need our help. Turns out, she had been in the nursing field for about 30 years but she had no benefits attached to her work. However, even though she lives in Del Valle, she comes up to our area of Austin several times a week to volunteer at a mental health facility. You see, nursing was still in her blood.
I feel honored that she allowed me into her life and it makes me appreciate all the more the reason the Food Pantry exists!
I look forward to seeing everyone next week.
God Bless each and every one of you who faithfully volunteers in some way shape or form to this vital ministry. Next year will bring some changes in leadership and operations so that we can continue representing Christ to a broken world.
Grace and Peace!!
Please see the note below about Tuesday Morning. We have a critical need for a helper or two.
Join our team! Or step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Colleen Meyer or Pastor Stella. Thank You to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
What do we need:
Needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (nopaper bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org/donate , or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
- Wednesday 4:30-6:30pm the pantry is open and we are distributing food to our clients. Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
- Wednesday morning 10-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
- Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!
Click here to watch our video.
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency