It was a great day at the Food Pantry! These weekly reports have been coming from Bob Weeks recently and will again soon, but Bob was traveling this week due to a death in the family. So, you’ve got me again this week.
Many things have to happen to make a food pantry day a complete success. We experienced a very disappointing event tonight as 3 mobility-impaired clients were purposefully left behind by a Capital Metro Access driver, over the vocal objections by several of our volunteers. It seemed mean spirited. I only pray that God’s grace is working in that situation in ways that I cannot see.
Otherwise, tonight was what has become our new normal: clients from 106 households came to us for help, and our volunteer team handled it all with style and grace. The Central Texas Food Bank was closed this week for annual inventory, so our fresh produce offerings were limited, but thankfully our regular donors Trader Joe’s, HEB and Whole Foods helped tremendously, and we received first ever donations from Target that included about 100 pounds of meat. That new freezer arrived not a moment too soon!
Join our team! Or step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Colleen Meyer or Pastor Stella.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 106
- # individuals served: 306
- # first-timers: 13
- # of volunteers: 27
What do we need:
- Needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial giving is down as is typical during summer months, but our expenses continue as usual. Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
- Wednesday 4:30-6:30pm the pantry is open and we are distributing food to our clients. Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
- Wednesday morning 10-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
- Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!
- And if you would like to explore leadership positions, please contact Pastor Stella at 512-346-3124.