It was a great day at the Food Pantry! And another busy one. We continued to tinker and experiment with our process, allowing our less-mobile clients to be served first before it gets so crowded, and then begin serving everyone else about 4:30. I received good feedback on last week’s trial run. Thanks again to the volunteers who are coming at 4:30, and to all from being patient with our changes.
Three of us attended the 2017 Central Texas Food Bank Partners Conference this week. We heard great talks about the growth and goals of the food bank, such as increasing fresh produce distribution to 16 million pounds this year (37% of total distribution) and to almost 30 million pounds in 2020 (50% of total distribution). This growth and the donations of our great retail partners are allowing us to keep pace with our own growth. With half of 2017 now in the books, we see this ministry continuing to grow at Covenant. In 2015 we served an average of 72 households per week; last year that number grew to 77; and the first half of 2017 it was 93.
Important need: We have multiple openings for volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical shape, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds.
If you have never volunteered at the food pantry before, come join us at 5:00 on Wednesday to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back. Questions? Shoot me an email. And if you are interested in a leadership role, please contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # households served: 103
- # individuals served: 292
- # first-timers: 12
- # of volunteers: 28
What do we need:
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- empty, clean egg cartons (12s, not 18s please)
- reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- Would you like to be part of this ministry but Wednesday nights are not workable for you? There are other opportunities to help:
- Wednesday mornings 10-noon we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce. It’s easy and anyone can contribute.
- In 2018 we will have a couple of openings for people to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You could do a ride-along now with our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical shape.
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency