It was a great day at the Food Pantry! A very busy night, with 106 households served, 81 of them arriving during our early check-in hour.
We all need food of course. But sometimes I think distributing food is just a means to an end, a vehicle for God to do even greater things. One of those greater things is giving so many people the opportunity to serve – from preschoolers in a food drive to old geezers like me. I was in the back room at Starbucks Wednesday morning, gathering up the bakery items that they donate each week, when a young man engaged me in conversation about the food pantry. As we talked, he got more and more excited, and we ended by him getting my contact info and saying he was going to come volunteer! I hope he does, whether here or elsewhere, because serving others is a holy endeavor. That conversation was a seed sown.
Another “greater thing” happened to me at the end of the day – the opportunity to serve a couple who overcame great physical challenges just to get to the food pantry, then had no means or plan to get home. I was in the right place at the right time to help them and so received this second blessing of the day.
Oh, and did I mention…we also distributed 3000 pounds of food. God is good!
If you have never volunteered at the food pantry before, come join us on Wednesday at 10am or 5pm to see first hand what keeps our volunteers coming back. Questions? Shoot me an email. And if you are interested in a leadership role, please contact Pastor Stella or me to explore opportunities.
Thank you to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
This week’s numbers:
- # of volunteers: 24
- # households served: 106
- # individuals served: 312
- # first-timers: 7
- Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
- This week’s needs list for those wanting to donate items:
- soup, mac&cheese
- baby food, diapers, other baby items
- Special request: Earth’s Best Infant Formula (lavender container) for client baby with tummy troubles!
- toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, etc.
- reusable shopping bags (not paper bags please.)
- Note: we have an ample supply of egg cartons for now. Thanks for getting us stocked up!
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency