Greetings Fellow Foodies!
This week’s numbers:
· # households served: 132
· # individuals served: 451
· # first-timers: 26
· # of volunteers: 34
“When you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind.” – Luke 14:13
As you can see, our numbers continue to grow. Our average over the last 4 weeks has been 136 families served per week! Our Food Pantry leaders are very concerned that we cannot sustain this type of explosive growth in the foreseeable future. However, having said that, we have been saying the same thing for the last seven plus years of our operation and yet God has always provided. While not entirely sure of our way forward, keep this ministry in your prayers.
I used the above scripture because it dawned on me that what goes on on Wednesday evenings is indeed a banquet, a party, a celebration of sorts! It is with this in mind that we need a more global approach to who we are. We soon will be calling this Covenant Care Ministries which will encompass the Food Pantry, Hospitality dinner, the Free Store and all the myriad of other things that go on, i.e., Wesleyan Nurse, Snap registration, etc. Stay tuned as we transition this into action although most of this is already being done by our wonderful volunteer team!
I’ve heard it said that love is giving to meet the needs of others without expecting anything in return. This is how Jesus has loved each of us.
Peace and blessings to all!
If you are looking for something to donate besides food, we could sure use baby diapers and wipes!
Please take a moment to reread all the opportunities below to help this ministry.
WE NEED YOU!!
Come join our team! Or step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Bob Weeks, Ernie Cruz or Pastor Stella. Thank You to all our supporters and volunteers, and as always, please pray for all our clients.
What do we need:
- Needs list for those wanting to donate items:• toiletries – toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
• baby food, diapers, other baby items
• reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
• Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC (“Food Pantry” on memo line).
Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
• Wednesday evenings 4:00pm-7:00pm for volunteers to help set-up, distribute food to our clients and then clean up! Everyone is welcome… just drop in!
• Wednesday morning 10am-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
• Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it’s a good fit for you. You don’t need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency