February 5th, 2020
Greetings Fellow Foodies!
This week's numbers:
· # households served: 105
· # individuals served: 317
· # first-timers: 10
· # of volunteers: 42
4046 pounds of food received this week from all our various sources!
Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. -1 Corinthians 10:31
There is nothing like ministry work in near freezing conditions! Thankfully there was no precipitation until later Wednesday night and when we woke up Thursday morning, there was a blanket of snow on the ground. Austin does not see much of that. As the saying goes, Austin has a winter and this year it was on a Wednesday! Despite the weather, we still had a very busy evening. Hunger doesn't stop because of holidays or weather.
We are again thankful that God has provided us a security guard as we had a possible confrontation averted with his influence. If you are volunteering on Wednesday nights, please take a moment to thank John Parra! He was definitely a Godsend! We all feel a little safer with his presence.
Blessings to all!
We are in need egg cartons and volunteers to help pick up our order from the food bank each Tuesday morning!
• Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org/food-pantry,
Hit the Donate Now button and look for Designated Fund.
Or mail a check to the following and put Food Pantry in the memo line:
Covenant United Methodist Church
4410 Duval Rd.
Austin, TX 78727
A complete list of needs can be found below.
Do you speak Spanish? We can always use you!
Please take a moment to reread all the opportunities below to help this ministry.
Come join our team! Or step up your current involvement! See below under What do we need, and if you have questions or interest in joining us please reply to this email or contact Bob Weeks, Nancy Bertolino.
What do we need:
Needs list for those wanting to donate items:
• Toiletries - toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shampoo (including the free hotel size), toilet paper, feminine products, etc.
• Baby food, diapers, other baby items
• Adult diapers
• Reusable shopping bags (no paper bags please.)
• Financial donations to the food pantry may be made online at covenantaustin.org, or by check to Covenant UMC ("Food Pantry" on memo line).
Would you like to volunteer in the food pantry? There are multiple opportunities each week:
• Wednesday evenings 4:00pm-7:00pm for volunteers to help set-up, distribute food to our clients and then clean up! Everyone is welcome... just drop in!
• Wednesday morning 9am-noon: we receive deliveries and sort/set-up bread and produce.
• Tuesday morning: We need volunteers to pick up food at the Food Bank and bring it back to Covenant. You can do a ride-along with one of our current volunteers to see if it's a good fit for you. You don't need to use your own vehicle but you do need to be in good physical condition, able to lift and transfer up to 60 pounds. This is an essential task that must be done every week to make the food pantry work. Please help spread the word and let me know if you have questions. By the way, this is a great job to share with a friend: enjoy the company, get a little workout!
Covenant Food Pantry is a Central Texas Food Bank Partner Agency